Today’s manaton dig

• mickj
  • mickj's Avatar Topic Author
More
26 Sep 2021 18:23 #3452 by mickj
Today’s manaton dig was created by mickj
  Hi My finds from todayTop line left to right.. piece of iron tube, large iron washer, horse shoe nails, part horse shoe, (probably fell off horse through lack of nails)Middle line left to right ..flattened foil canister, foil, bits of leadBottom line left to right..fork numbered on the back(see below),piece of thin brass surround,..musket ball, watch winder, lizzy 2nd coin 1988, dunno possibly back of a button, copper disc rivet for man made slates.Stamped on the back of the fork DR^Kf2469MSLD 1951
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2021 20:02 #3453 by chrish
Replied by chrish on topic Today’s manaton dig
Well done Mick ,that part horseshoe may be an ox shoe,it looks a bit out of proportion for a horse.

• mickj
  • mickj's Avatar Topic Author
More
26 Sep 2021 20:26 #3454 by mickj
Replied by mickj on topic Today’s manaton dig
Cheers Chris , that’s interesting I didn’t know oxen were shoed like horses

• goldenhammerman
  • Platinum Member
More
26 Sep 2021 23:09 #3455 by goldenhammerman
Replied by goldenhammerman on topic Today’s manaton dig
Good on you for posting info & image on site - thanks.

More
27 Sep 2021 08:43 #3456 by andyb
Replied by andyb on topic Today’s manaton dig
Following on from Mick's lead...here's my haul.

17th/18th C. Clog Clasp, thin piece decorated metal (think it's silver), horse brass,

Viccy Penny, George half penny, decimal penny,

Small button, buckle, Screw Cap off a pill bottle.

1st Time I've found a clog buckle...here's some others which are similar..

and a more complete example of the pill bottle 

Thanks for all the effort that went into organinsing it 
Attachments:

• goldenhammerman
  • Platinum Member
More
27 Sep 2021 11:25 - 27 Sep 2021 11:29 #3457 by goldenhammerman
Replied by goldenhammerman on topic Today’s manaton dig
..Having seen the images from Mick and Andy I thought I'd better salvage what I found and post them here. (Perhaps we all should be encouraged to do this!)  I believe the area still has more to reveal, Dave and I went into the field immediately in front of the property which, I am told, was used by schoolchildren as perhaps a Summer Holiday or 'Outward Bound' centre. This might explain 2 of my finds.
Dave B was able to return 2 sockets from a set to the owner!. In addition to 2 x 2p coins a 3 half pence decimal coins were two .303 cartridge cases. Crimped end indicates they were Blanks. A Lone Star Spud and Potato Gun from the 60s and similarly a SHELL Petroleum Alloy Token from a series you could collect from Shell Petrol Stations (if they hadn't run out of petrol!) in the late 1960s. There was also the discovery - but no digging up - of the Resident Ram!  A rusty Gin Trap was also uneathed.. The feather is from a Jay I believe.
Thanks to Mick, Andy, Phil, Keith, John & Dave B for attending - Dig Fees were passed to Claire Boughey and she was thanked for allowing us on her land.

Attachments: