New detector, new year ,new enthusiasm.

• mickj
  • mickj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
More
28 Dec 2020 17:21 #3264 by mickj
Hi all
I would like some clarification on beach detecting, do I need a permit,?are there any beaches out of bounds?, my luverly wife bought me a new detector for Xmas and I’m determined to make good use of it, as well as club digs and raids on neighbours gardens under the cover of darkness I’m going to put more effort in getting a permission or two, also the new detector is ok up to 3 mts underwater what are the rules on deep wading or shallow diving in the sea, these may seem silly questions but there seems to be a lot of conflicting information online
Cheers every body
Mick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2020 18:57 #3265 by marks
Replied by marks on topic New detector, new year ,new enthusiasm.
Hi , what machine do you have , a permit is free to download, most detectorists don't bother , I do . You can detect any beach ,unless it's privately owned . With this C ovid , I can't see any problem with detecting , just stay away from people . Stay on your own . Get a long handle sand scoop . Not a spade , hard work , get in to the wet stuff . Mark

• mickj
  • Senior Boarder
More
28 Dec 2020 20:34 #3266 by mickj
Replied by mickj on topic New detector, new year ,new enthusiasm.
Hey Mark hope you had a good Xmas mate, thanks for coming back, I’ve got an Equinox 800 it’s gonna be a bit of a learning curve but looking forward to it, I’ll look to download a permit rather do things properly, take care bud hope well all see each other soon

More
28 Dec 2020 22:19 #3267 by marks
Hi Mike , good choice , I have one , easy to set , and info you need , just call . Or I can show you one day . 07767894211 . Cheers mt . Have a great new year and a 2021

• goldenhammerman
  • Platinum Boarder
More
28 Dec 2020 23:10 #3268 by goldenhammerman
Replied by goldenhammerman on topic New detector, new year ,new enthusiasm.
Slight ammendment to the information you've been given. With regards to Beaches - if you visit the Crown Estates Website you'll have access to the maps that indicate the shoreline owned by the Crown Estates. The area they offer is between High Tide and Low Tide - not beyond either. The's a section on Metal Detecting and the rules they expect you to abide by. NO Permits are nowadays issued but you have to accept the conditions. Remember that certain beaches are also Local Authority owned as well as privately owned and you should do a little bit of research before you say - Ah, a beach - I'm going detecting.. Of course with the 800 you'll be able to prospect Gold - I'm not sure whether flights to South Africa, California and Australia have been resumed!!
Happy New Yearto you and all - STAY SAFE.

More
29 Dec 2020 02:05 #3269 by christaylor
Replied by christaylor on topic New detector, new year ,new enthusiasm.
Doesn't the Duchy of Cornwall charge 60 quid for a beach permit- Chaz has to keep the old bag's botox up!

More
29 Dec 2020 09:51 #3270 by marks
No , they were going to introduce , but , could never be policed , I think the big eared prick has enough money . I've detected all beaches , never been stopped, unless it's private owned . If you can walk a dog and use the beach for a toilet ,I can detect ,has I do . I have a permit , I'm insured, I fill in my holes and clean a beach . My question . How do you police beach detecting ........you can't , and never will . All have a great new year . M

• goldenhammerman
  • Platinum Boarder
More
29 Dec 2020 10:37 - 29 Dec 2020 10:43 #3271 by goldenhammerman
Replied by goldenhammerman on topic New detector, new year ,new enthusiasm.
By Big Ears _ I imagine you mean The Duchy of Cornwall ! - nothing whatsoever to do with the Crown Estates properties. The Duchy's attitude to detecting involves mainly most of the beaches in - you've guessed it ! - Cornwall.
Crown Estates are throughout the British Isles so Mike / Mark see this page on their Website which should put everyone in the picture and is a reasonable and tolerant attitude to take.
www.thecrownestate.co.uk/en-gb/what-we-d...ng-and-drone-flying/

All our members should, if intending to beach search, check out ownership and abide by Crown Estates Rules if the beach is owned by them. It's all to be seen on that link.

£60 seems most unreasonable for Duchy permission (Chris) Where is Cornwall anyway!

• mickj
  • Senior Boarder
More
01 Jan 2021 15:00 #3273 by mickj
Replied by mickj on topic New detector, new year ,new enthusiasm.
Thank you for all the info, I’ve checked the crown website and spoke to the harbour authorities and I’m ok to go, the tides look good for a week on Saturday for a morning tickle so I’ll have wander over tor abbey sands plenty of room and hopefully no COVID dodgers to pester me it’ll give a chance for a play, any tips Mark S?
I’m not getting notifications on replies is it me? Happy new to you all and stay safe.

More
01 Jan 2021 16:37 #3274 by marks
Good mate , the laws are simple to follow . 07767894211. I tell you all you need to know about the nox, and techniques. Crown estate beaches are owned by the queen , , don't use a jcb digger lol . M..